American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women® Movement Celebrates 15 Years of Saving Women’s Lives in Utah
Hundreds of women and men will wear red and a number of local buildings and establishments will “go red” to unite in the fight against heart disease and support the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement. Go Red For Women educates women to lead by example and make the time to “Know Their Numbers” – total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar and body mass index (BMI). Knowing these numbers can help women and their healthcare provider determine (and then manage) their risk for developing cardiovascular diseases. Cardiovascular diseases kill about one woman every 80 seconds – more than all forms of cancer combined. Fortunately, we can change that because 80 percent of cardiac and stroke events may be prevented with education and action. It’s time for all women to unite and learn the most critical numbers in their life -- their hearts depend on it.
Several Go Red events and activities will take place in Utah throughout the month of February:
- Feb. 1-28: Employees and guests at five companies in Utah are wearing red and/or hosting Wear Red Day activities (e.g., blood pressure screenings) or special offers including; Rocky Mountain Power, University of Utah Health, Steward Health, Intermountain Medical Center and Dignity Memorial.
- Cities across the country will “Go Red” by illuminating monuments, landmarks and major buildings in red on Feb. 2 or for the entire month of February. In Utah, the University of Utah’s “U” on the hill and the Legacy Bridge, the Salt Palace Convention Center, Salt Lake City and County Building, the Intermountain Heart Institute at Intermountain Medical Center and Rocky Mountain Power will go red to show their support for the fight against heart disease in women.
- Jan. 31 - Feb. 5: National Go Red For Women sponsor Macy's will be offering a 25% discount (on selected items) to all customers who purchase an exclusive Macy’s red dress pin for $3. One hundred percent of the pin sales benefit Go Red For Women and will stay in Utah. New this year: Customers will receive two pins – one for themselves and one to share.
- Feb. 8 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.: Go Red Por Tu Corazón Luncheon at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center. On average, Latina women are likely to develop heart disease 10 years earlier than other women. The Go Red Por Tu Corazón Luncheon is an educational program that encourages women to become champions of heart health for themselves and their families. Visit utahgoredluncheon.heart.org and click on the Por Tu Corazón tab for tickets and more information.
- Feb. 9 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.: “Heart on the Hill” at the State Capitol Centennial Room (on the first floor and then the Rotunda), sponsored by Steward Health. Legislators, Capitol employees and volunteers will receive a heart-healthy lunch and blood pressure screenings provided by Steward Health. Volunteers will have the chance to talk with their legislators in the Capitol Rotunda from 12:00 – 1:30 pm about two important health issues: creating a stroke and cardiac data registry and tobacco prevention and control. Anyone is welcome to attend Heart on the Hill. Call (801) 702-4420 for more information.
- Learn More:
- Visit GoRedForWomen.org to learn more, as well as Meet Go Red’s Real Women, heart disease and stroke survivors and activists who are passionate about sharing their stories and saving other women’s lives.
- You can also visit our Facebook page, Instagram account or Tweet us.
Save the date:
The American Heart Association will hold its 13th annual Go Red For Women Luncheon to bring together hundreds of professional women to learn about the Go Red lifestyle, take giant steps toward healthier life choices and raise critically needed funds to fight heart disease in women. The Luncheon will be held Friday, March 9that the Downtown Marriott at City Creek.
For information on the Utah Go Red For Women Luncheon, call Kasi Lund at (801) 702-4425 or visit utahgoredluncheon.heart.org.
About Go Red For Women
In the United States, cardiovascular diseases kill approximately 1 in 3 women each year. Go Red For Women is the American Heart Association's national movement to end heart disease and stroke in women. Cardiovascular diseases in the U.S. kill approximately one woman every 80 seconds. The good news is that 80 percent of cardiac events may be prevented with education and lifestyle changes. Go Red For Women advocates for more research and swifter action for women's heart health. The American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement is nationally sponsored by Macy's and CVS Health, with additional support from our cause supporters. For more information, please visit GoRedForWomen.org or call 1-888-MY-HEART (1-888-694-3278).
About the American Heart Association
The American Heart Association is devoted to saving people from heart disease and stroke – the two leading causes of death in the world. We team with millions of volunteers to fund innovative research, fight for stronger public health policies, and provide lifesaving tools and information to prevent and treat these diseases. The Dallas-based association is the nation’s oldest and largest voluntary organization dedicated to fighting heart disease and stroke. To learn more or to get involved, call 1-800-AHA-USA1, visit heart.org or call any of our offices around the country. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.